Friday, April 25, 2008

Meeting You at 'The Conference'

Through a circuitous series of events, I pulled into the Courtenay Best Western today to meet up with an acquaintance. I had promised to show him around town a bit, introduce him to Courtenay. But he wasn't waiting at the door. So I walked on up into the conference room to see if he was there. And that's when I realized it. I was at the annual meeting of Pro Life BC, which just happened to be hosted here in the Comox Valley. I furtively darted my eyes about the room to make sure there wasn't anyone there I knew, lest they judge me (and I judge them). And then I took a minute to listen. The topic? Suppression of free speech on University campuses. It was surreal to hear names like "Shelly Melanson" and "York Debating Society" being bandied about. I thought I had left that way behind in Ontario. So that's when I walked out.